Game Zines

Game Zines

I have a super weird affinity for game magazines from between 2000 and about 2005. Pretty much anything I can get my hands on for Gamecube, GBA, Dreamcast and PS2. My favorite magazine from this time was Tips & Tricks. In spring, I bought a lot of 40 T&T’s on ebay. I got 'em all nice and backboarded and sealed in a half-box.

In the future, I’d like to go through them and scan some articles to share.

Back when I was in late elementary school-early middle school, I was subscribed to GamePro. It was a very entertaining gaming magazine whose issues I’ve read thoroughly, even re-reading them when I’ve become interested in the sections I initially skipped over. It’s a shame it wasn’t able to survive past the beginning of the 2010s, even as it changed its format to remain relevant in the increasingly user-centric environment of Web 2.0.

I find one editorial of theirs, titled “One Console To Rule Them All”, fascinating in hindsight: it was a response to a fan letter suggesting that all of the console manufacturers team-up to create a “super console”, that can run any game from any previous console. The editor laughed it off as impossible, with the competitive relationship between manufacturers preventing this unity from taking place. Because this was still before emulation was commonplace, the fan letter assumed that this “super console” would accept physical cartridges, discs, and accessories from all of these consoles, which would have been extremely impractical from an engineering standpoint.

Since then, emulation has become increasingly accessible to the player base, allowing for games from multiple (oftentimes unrelated) consoles on one system, whether it be the PC or unofficial consoles such as the Raspberry Pi 3. Even the “super console” - as originally described in the GamePro editorial - has manifested as the Hyperkin RetroN 5, a single unit that can run cartridges from various older consoles. As mentioned in Game Sack’s review, its execution leaves much to be desired, but its very existence shows just how technology can exceed what we take for granted.

I’ve been subbed to gameinformer since 2008.
I don’t read it as much as I used to, but I still will look at reviews and stuff.
As of now the only thing I’m interested in those magazines are reviews of new games, just to see what they have to say about it.

one of my birthday presents when i turned 9 was a subscription to nintendo power, and i believe i still have all the issues they released through 2008, including the 20th anniversary issue, but i’d have to search multiple boxes in my parents’ crawlspace.